Category Archives: Historic Highlights

Racing Yachts

Racing Yachts

The Stevens family had a strong influence on the development of American yachting. On July 30, 1844, John Cox Stevens hosted the organizational meeting of the New York Yacht Club on his yacht Gimcrack. He would serve as First Commodore of the club until 1854. Despite the name, the club met in Hoboken. A clubhouse was built on Stevens family land just north of Castle Point.

The NYYC’s ship America would soon sail to worldwide fame and become the namesake of the America’s Cup. In 1851 the America sailed to England to compete in a 60 mile race around the Isle of Wight, held on August 22. John Cox and Edwin Augustus were on board as the America dominated the race, beating the closest British competitor by 18 minutes. The victory was a clear sign that American shipbuilding and sailing were to be taken seriously.

The trophy for the race, an elegant silver cup, was returned to the clubhouse in Hoboken. The New York Yacht Club decided to offer the cup as a trophy in a recurring yacht race between top worldwide competitors, and the America’s Cup was born. Yet the skill of the New York Yacht Club was so advanced that it took many challenges before a rival was able to take home the cup. Today, the clubhouse is no longer in Hoboken, but a historic marker commemorates its place in maritime history.

Sources

History, Stevens Institute of Technology. http://www.stevens.edu/sit/about/history.cfm

Jim Hans, 100 Hoboken Firsts. 26-27, 33.

Mary Stevens Baird Recollections, Stevens Family Collection. VII.

First Family in American Railroading

First Family in American Railroading

The railroads that stretch out of Hoboken and across the country are in large part the fruit of the brilliant minds of John Stevens and his son Robert.

John Stevens was a visionary advocate of steam-powered railroads at a time when few could even imagine how they would work. Around 1810 he turned the steamboat operations over to his capable sons and devoted himself to improving overland transportation. In 1811 he applied for a railroad charter but the state rejected it, regarding the idea as fantastic.

In 1812, shortly before the start of a war with England that would make sea transport hazardous and overland transport tremendously costly, Stevens issued a pamphlet arguing for railroads. The descriptively titled “Documents Tending to Prove the Superior Advantages of Rail-ways and Steam Carriages over Canal Navigation” was incredibly forward thinking in its advocacy of rail travel. There were no steam-powered locomotives in existence in 1812. Railroads at the time were mere wooden planks topped with iron sheets, on which carriages would be pulled by horses. They were short and their applications were limited.

Stevens’ pamphlet was impressively accurate in its predictions and civic-minded in its arguments. The visionary included letters in which he argued that building a railroad with steam locomotives would be a better use of resources than building the Erie Canal. He hoped the federal government would take note and establish railroads in all directions to “embrace and unite every section of this extensive empire. It might then, indeed, be truly said, that these States would constitute one family, intimately connected, and held together in indissoluble bonds of union.” He considered commercial, financial, military, political ramifications, calculated costs, and addressed common objections.

Stevens’ pamphlet did not gain much support for railroads, but he pressed on. In 1815 he obtained the first railroad charter in America. The route, from the Delaware River near Trenton, to the Raritan River near New Brunswick, where passengers could then board ferry boats, was not built for years, as Stevens had trouble attracting investors.

Colonel Stevens knew he had to do something to create more enthusiasm for railroads. In 1825 he built a circular railroad track on his land in Hoboken. He also constructed the first locomotive built in America, which was 16 feet long and 4ft, 2.5 inches wide. Power went to a gear that linked into a cog midway between the rails. The circular track was about 200 feet in diameter. One side was made 30 feet higher than the other to disprove a common belief that steam railways would need to be level.

In May of 1826, the experiment was ready. To the numerous observers visiting his land, Stevens demonstrated the locomotive. Its first trials were taken at 6 mph, but it later was able to achieve 12 mph carrying 6 passengers. The circular railroad generated considerable attention and most observers became enthusiastic about railroads as a new means of transportation.

While John Stevens more than anyone brought the railroad into American discussion, it was his son Robert who determined the shape that railroads would take.

In 1830, Robert Stevens was president of the new Camden and Amboy Railroad. At that time, the few railroads in existence used wooden rails with iron straps along the top surface that contacted the wheel. Some railroads in England used a metal T-shaped rail that was expensive and difficult to produce.

Robert Stevens advocated all-iron rails and travelled to England to procure them. On the trip, he designed a new T-shaped rail that did not require complicated iron working to seat. Robert’s design, which featured a continuous base running the length of each rail, would make it more cost-effective to lay long lengths of rail, especially in the American countryside where iron workers were scarce. He also created the hook-headed spike that is essentially the same as the railroad spike used today and designed the nuts and bolts to hold everything together. Rails today are the same shape as Robert designed, with only slight changes in proportionate dimensions. In another innovation, it was under Robert’s direction that the Camden and Amboy railroad began using wooden ties with crushed stone ballast between them for the rail bed, which was found to work even better than the stone rail bed previously used.

Just as his father had opened America’s eyes to the possibility of steam locomotives, Robert Stevens brought America the first locomotive to be used commercially in the country. While in England he became friendly with the Stephenson family, important builders of steam locomotives. He watched demonstrations of their work, and ordered a similar engine to be shipped to America. The new locomotive, the John Bull, was assembled by the C&A master mechanic. A tender, water tank and hose was added and the John Bull was ready to go.

On November 12, 1831, the first public trial of the John Bull was held on a thousand feet of track laid out in Bordentown, New Jersey. Members of the state legislature were the first to ride the train. Following the successful tests, locomotive shops were set up in Hoboken, where three engines were produced over the next two years. One of the improvements devised by Robert was a set of pilot wheels attached to the front of the locomotive to help it safely travel sharp curves. This device would later become known as the “cow catcher.”

The Camden and Amboy Railroad had required serious lobbying efforts to obtain an effective charter. From 1828 to 1829 the Stevens brothers successfully petitioned the legislature to change the family’s old charter. The charter now called for a railway from a point opposite Philadelphia to point on the Raritan Bay, which would allow for more reliable and safer steamboat connections. Beginning with Robert Stevens as president, Edwin Stevens as treasurer, and Robert Stockton as a leading political operative, the C&A would become a significant force in New Jersey politics as it pioneered rail travel.

The Camden and Amboy management forged close links to the state government. While the Stevens family held the main financial interests in the C&A, Robert Stockton built a political machine that allowed the company to exercise a powerful influence in the state government on all matters of transport across the state. The railroad gave the state shares of stock, paid duties on passengers and freight, and guaranteed a minimal annual contribution of $30,000 to the state treasury. In return they were legally guaranteed a monopoly on rail transit across the state between New York and Philadelphia. The deal would be forfeit if competition was allowed.

In 1836 the C&A management offered to sell the railroad at cost to the state. The rejection of the deal may have made the railroad’s management seek more political influence. Legislators were given free riding passes and newspapers were bought or created. Economic development in some areas of the state was hindered as the C&A prevented the construction of railroads that they believed would compete with their Philadelphia-New York duties. With monopoly came higher transport prices than existed in states that allowed competing lines.

Yet the Camden and Amboy management held that their operation benefitted New Jersey. While there were some disputes over payment, the railroad did contribute a significant amount of money to the state treasury each year, meaning that state taxes were very low. Stockton argued that important local railroads had not been impeded, but only speculative schemes for railroads across the state that would primarily benefit investors from outside the state.

After years of political battles it became clear that the time of monopoly would end. In 1854 the Legislature declared that the Camden and Amboy’s monopoly privileges would end in 1869.

While the Camden and Amboy Railroad came to exercise a level of political power that many recognized as inappropriate, it launched a new era in rapid transit and interstate travel. The railroad’s innovations and hard-won success establish the Stevens family as pioneers in American railroading. The vision, ingenuity, and entrepreneurship of the Stevens family made them central figures in the creation of a modern, effective transportation network for a growing country.

Sources

History, Stevens Institute of Technology. www.stevens.edu

Jim Hans, 100 Hoboken Firsts. 16.

John Stevens, “Documents Tending to prove the Superior Advantages of Rail-ways and Steam Carriages Over Canal Navigation.” Archive.org.

J. Elfreth Watkins, “John Stevens and His Sons,” 5, 7. Stevens Family Collection.

Mary Stevens Baird Recollections, Stevens Family Collection. VI.

“New York World’s Fair Bulletin,” Hoboken Chamber of Commerce. 2. Stevens Family Collection.

Wheaton J. Lane, From Indian Trail to Iron Horse. Inventions, 281-283, 286-288; John Bull, 287-288; C&A Politics, 284-286, 289-303, 307, 318, 325-337, 343, 357-359.

Steamboat Innovation

Steamboat Innovation

According to legend, Colonel Stevens was riding near the Delaware River in 1787 when he happened to see John Fitch’s experimental steamboat travelling up the river. He was so intrigued he followed the boat to its dock and thoroughly investigated it. Whether this chance meeting happened, or if it was regular correspondence with other learned men that sparked Stevens’ interest in steam power, by the late 1780s he was driven to work on the steam engine’s applications for transportation.

John Stevens conducted his own experiments in steam power. He corresponded with John Fitch and James Rumsey, who had been experimenting with steam power for boats. In 1789 he applied unsuccessfully to the New York Legislature for exclusive rights to operate steamboats in the state. In 1790 he persuaded Congress to pass the first American patent law and on August 26, 1791, he received one of first patents for an application of steam power.

Stevens’ experimental boats pioneered steam navigation in America and attracted modest but significant attention. As early as 1798, he demonstrated the Polacca, a steamboat that carried passengers from Belleville, New Jersey, to New York City. Speed estimates ranged between 3 and 5.5 mph. The experimental craft was driven by a wheel in the stern. Though the Polacca demonstrated the possibility of steam propulsion, its piping and seams were broken open from the vibration of the engine and it was not yet a practical means of transportation.

In 1804, Robert, then 17, and his brother John, assisted their father in constructing the first boat propelled by twin screw propellers. The Little Juliana, a 32 foot boat with a boiler designed by Stevens, successfully navigated the Hudson River and amazed onlookers by travelling without a visible means of propulsion. However, screw propulsion would require high pressure steam to be efficient, and engineering methods of the time were not advanced enough to successfully make high pressure boilers.

In 1805 Colonel John received a British patent for a new kind of boiler for steam engines. Unlike earlier models that contained one large tube for heating water, John’s design heated water in multiple smaller tubes. It was more expensive to produce than earlier models but was significantly more efficient.

The Stevenses built two more experimental steamboats in 1806 and 1807. Their next steamboat, the Phoenix, would enter history as the first steam-powered vessel to complete an ocean voyage, and the first commercially successful steamboat built entirely in America. It would also launch a dispute with Robert Fulton and the Livingston family.

Robert R. Livingston had worked with John Stevens on his early steamboat experiments, but left for France on government business in 1801. There he met Robert Fulton, who was also interested in steamboats. Livingston gave financial and technical aid to Fulton, but more importantly he had legal knowledge and influence in New York politics. In 1798 Livingston had obtained a monopoly of the right to navigate steamboats in New York after his own experiments, a monopoly that he would soon exercise in partnership with Fulton.

In the summer of 1807, Fulton’s Clermont steamed from New York City to Albany in 32 hours. The trip established Fulton’s place in history as the designer of the first successful steamboat. News of his voyage spread quickly.

Meanwhile the Stevens family continued their engineering work, and the Phoenix was launched in the spring of 1808. Propelled by paddlewheels on its sides, the Phoenix averaged over five miles per hour. Its 100 foot hull was designed by Robert Stevens, then twenty years old. Like many early steamships, the Phoenix included masts for sails to be used when the wind was favorable. Unlike the Clermont, for which Fulton and Livingston had acquired a British steam engine, the Phoenix was designed and built entirely in America, the first successful steamship to be entirely American in origin.

In the first decade of the 1800s, large-scale transportation infrastructure, including major roads, was typically built by private partnerships who would then operate under grants of monopoly from state governments. Steamboat service to New York, despite the Stevens’ protests, would operate on the same principle. While Livingston was inclined to compromise with his relative and former associate, Fulton was determined to make the most out of the grant of monopoly. Livingston offered Stevens a partnership in the monopoly, which Stevens rejected. The two men engaged in a lengthy correspondence over the constitutionality of the monopoly grant.

Stevens tried to ignore or outmaneuver the monopoly the best he could. Realizing that the Phoenix would be seized if he tried to operate it on the Hudson, he instead had the boat travel a route between New York and New Brunswick, New Jersey. Fulton and Livingston were determined to crush this competition and set one of their new steamboats, the Raritan, to run the same route as the Phoenix. The Raritan at first operated at a loss at first but later returned a modest income. With less money to lose on a rate war, John Stevens decided to withdraw his boat from servicing New York.

On June 10, 1809, John Stevens sent the Phoenix to Philadelphia under the charge of Robert, then 21 years old. At a time when it was thought steamboats were only safe in calm waters, Robert Stevens took the Phoenix out on the Atlantic Ocean. A schooner accompanied the Phoenix when the winds were favorable, but there were days when the steamer traveled alone. Robert braved rough seas, high winds, and storms on the voyage, occasionally waiting out especially treacherous weather at port. The Phoenix arrived at Philadelphia thirteen days after the journey began. The steamship would make successful business on the Delaware River, even partnering with Fulton and stagecoach companies in 1810 to for travel packages between New York and Philadelphia.

On September 11, 1811 a pier lease from the City of New York allowed the Stevens family to launch a steam-ferry service from Hoboken to Manhattan, but this was shut down by pressure from Livingston in 1813.

The Fulton-Livingston monopoly finally ended when it was declared unconstitutional in the landmark 1824 Supreme Court decision  Gibbons v. Ogden. Aaron Ogden was a New Jersey politician and ferry operator. He was able to put enough political pressure on the Livingston-Fulton monopoly that they decided to sell him a license to operate in New York for a reasonable price. Ogden was a former business partner of Gibbons who competed bitterly after their less-than-amicable split. After John Marshall’s decision, states could no longer grant monopolies to steamship companies and the ports became free for competition.

Throughout the first half of the nineteenth century, the Stevens family made numerous contributions to steamship design. Improvements included advances in boilers, hulls, and pressure valves. In 1822 Robert Stevens designed the ferry slip for the Hoboken Steamboat Ferry Company. Long piles were driven into the river bed and hardwood fenders were attached to them. This design made it simpler for ferries to dock in strong tides, and was widely adopted. In 1823 the family launched the first double-ended ferry boat.

Robert would build numerous steam ferries, increasing the speed of each successive craft from 8 miles per hour in 1815 to 15 mph in 1832. Robert’s New Philadelphia, with an innovative bow that cut through water efficiently, was able to complete the trip from Albany to New York City between dawn and dusk. Edwin Augustus Stevens patented the air-tight fire room in 1842. He also developed the first double-ended propeller-driven ferryboat, the Bergen, which made paddlewheel boats obsolete.

Sources

Archibald Douglas Turnbull, John Stevens, an American Record. 100-108, 185, 208, 261-280. Archive.org.

Charles King, Preface to Stevens, “Documents Tending to prove the Superior Advantages of Rail-ways and Steam Carriages Over Canal Navigation.” iv, v. Archive.org.

George Iles, Leading American Inventors. 11-13, 16. Archive.org.

J. Elfreth Watkins, “John Stevens and His Sons.” 8. Stevens Family Collection.

Jim Hans, 100 Hoboken Firsts. 4-6, 11, 15, 56.

“New York World’s Fair Bulletin,” Hoboken Chamber of Commerce. 1-4. Stevens Family Collection.

Wheaton J. Lane, From Indian Trail to Iron Horse. Steamboats, 175-184; Gibbons v. Ogden, 184-194.

Building Hoboken

Building Hoboken

While living in Manhattan with his wife, Colonel John Stevens became interested in building an estate. In 1783 he explored some land across the river. William Bayard’s farm had stood there, but it was confiscated by the colonial government of New Jersey because Bayard sided with the British Crown. On May 1, 1784 Stevens bought Bayard’s old farm from the State of New Jersey for 18,340 Pounds sterling, or about $90,000. He settled on the name Hoboken, a closer approximation to the Lenape word for the area than Hoebuck, as Bayard’s farm had been known.

In the early days John farmed and cleared trees at Hoboken, but he had other improvements in mind. He built a house on Castle Point, cleared land for development, laid out a partial street grid and had attractive landscaping done on what would become gardens and pleasure grounds. In 1794, Stevens successfully lobbied the New Jersey State Legislature to authorize a road to be laid out to Hoboken, which would compete with a chartered toll road from Newark to Paulus Hook in Jersey City.

Stevens soon brought more people to Hoboken. He began to sell lots in 1804. Until 1814 the family lived at Hoboken only in the summer, spending much of the year at the family home in Manhattan. John found the river crossing to be unsatisfactory and soon bought out a ferry company, which further added to his land holdings. The Stevens ferry and lands, including the Elysian Fields and River Walk Promenade, brought thousands of visitors to Hoboken from the 1820s to the 1850s. In first half of the nineteenth century, the Elysian Fields, north of Castle Point, was one of the most frequented pleasure grounds in the country, and could host as many as 20,000 visitors in a day.

The family sold more land in the 1830s. On February 21, 1838, the Hoboken Land and Improvement Company was incorporated. The Stevens brothers John Cox, Robert, James, and Edwin were among the six partners. The HLI Co was empowered to improve lands they owned (primarily north of Fourth Street) by dividing it into lots, grading and leveling land, constructing buildings, installing infrastructure, and renting or selling land.

Sources

Archibald Douglas Turnbull, John Stevens, an American Record. 80-88, 96, 180

Christina A Ziegler-McPherson, Immigrants in Hoboken. 27-29.

History, Stevens Institute of Technology. www.stevens.edu/

Jim Hans, 100 Hoboken Firsts. 112-115.

Wheaton J. Lane, From Indian Trail to Iron Horse. 124.

The Family

The Family

The grandfather of Hoboken’s founder, also named John Stevens, emigrated from England to New York City in 1699 at the age of seventeen. He served a seven year indenture as a clerk to a crown official in New York, then pursued interests in land and mining. He came to the Jerseys after hearing about copper mining in Rocky Hill, near Princeton. He soon found the business of land to be more profitable (though he would eventually acquire the Rocky Hill mines). While living in the Princeton area he met Ann Campbell, whose father owned land as a shareholder and proxy for New Jersey’s Proprietors. John and Ann married in 1714, and John Stevens now joined in Ann’s father’s land business. They left many scattered tracts of land in New Jersey to their children when John died in 1737.

The father of Hoboken’s founder, the Honorable John Stevens (1716 – 1792) was a prominent merchant. He served on the New Jersey Royal Governor’s council until he resigned to support the cause of Independence. He was also a slaveholder, at least for part of his life. His wife, Mary Alexander, was a daughter of the surveyor-general of New York and New Jersey. He had two children, John in 1749, and Mary in 1752. The Honorable John Stevens would serve in the New Jersey legislature after Independence as well.

John Stevens (1749-1838), often referred to as Colonel John Stevens, was Hoboken’s founder, a patriot, attorney, and civic-minded inventor. He was a pioneer, even a visionary, in steam powered transportation on sea and land. Charles King, president of Columbia University, wrote of him in 1852: “Born to affluence, his whole life was devoted to experiments, at his own cost, for the common good… Time has vindicated his claim to the character of a far-seeing, accurate, and skillful, practical experimentalist and inventor… The thinker was ahead of his age.”

John was born in New York City in 1749, but spent most of his childhood at the family home in Amboy. In 1760, the family established a winter home in Manhattan. John graduated King’s College (now Columbia) in 1768, then studied law and became an attorney in New York in 1771.

Young John and his sister forged close relationships with the powerful Livingston family. In 1771 Mary Stevens and Robert Livingston Jr. were married. The Livingstons had significant influence in New York politics in the colonial and early republican eras. Their influence would not benefit the Stevens family when John Stevens and Robert Livingston were on opposite sides of a steamboat navigation dispute in the 1800s.

Like his father, young John Stevens joined the Patriot cause and offered his services. On July 15, 1776, he was appointed Treasurer of New Jersey. Successfully carrying out his duties in war-torn New Jersey required him to navigate the state on horseback evading British and Tory troops as he raised funds and paid bills for the state. His service earned him the rank of colonel.

Rachel Cox, a beautiful daughter of Colonel John Cox, caught John’s fancy and the two of them married in October 1782. After hostilities with Britain ceased, they moved to the Stevens home in Manhattan and planned to acquire land and raise a family. John looked across the river to the future.

Colonel John Stevens and his wife Rachel would have 13 children. Their most well-known sons are John Cox Stevens (1785-1857), Robert Livingston Stevens (1787-1856), and Edwin Augustus Stevens (1795-1868).


John Cox StevensJohn Cox Stevens represented the family in business when needed and enjoyed sailing as often as he could. As a founder of the New York Yacht Club, he sailed the America to victory in the race that would become the America’s Cup.


Robert’s creative imagination was noticed at an early age and as a youth he was given tools and mathematical training. Robert made an incredible number of advances in the construction of railroads and ships. He had attended Columbia like his father, but left before graduating to learn about mechanical operations in Hoboken machine shops.


Edwin had a mind for engineering and business, and he often worked with his brother Robert on joint ventures. Edwin firmly anchored the Stevens legacy in Hoboken by founding the Stevens Institute, America’s first college devoted to mechanical engineering.


There were proud civic leaders among the women in the Stevens family.

Martha Bayard Stevens, wife of Edwin Augustus, was known for her philanthropic contributions to Hoboken. 


Caroline Bayard Stevens Wittpenn

Caroline Bayard Stevens was so well regarded for her civic work that her death was mourned at the White House. 


Millicent Fenwick, a great-granddaughter of Edwin, was a respected member of the United States Congress.


In 1897, Abram S. Hewitt fondly recalled the Stevens family in an address at the Stevens Institute. Hewitt had been a mayor of New York City, a member of Congress, and a leader in the ironworks business. Yet when he first visited the elderly John Stevens at Castle Point, he was a curious young boy, the son of a mechanic who had developed a friendly relation with John while working on his steam engines. Hewitt was impressed by the genuine enthusiasm and friendliness shown by the man in his eighties who was still possessed of an active and alert mind.

“I was welcomed to Castle Point in my early youth just as I would be today by the honored mistress of that mansion. They did not believe that the acquisition of wealth was sufficient for the development of human nature… The sense for beauty was manifest in all that they did.”

Sources

Archibald Douglas Turnbull. John Stevens, an American Record. Archive.org.

Charles King, Preface to Stevens, “Documents Tending to prove the Superior Advantages of Rail-ways and Steam Carriages Over Canal Navigation.” iii-vi. Archive.org.

George Iles. Leading American Inventors. Family History, 5-6; Hewitt praising the Stevens family, 35, 37-38. Archive.org.

History, Stevens Institute of Technology. www.stevens.edu

J. Elfreth Watkins, “John Stevens and His Sons,” 3,6. Stevens Family Collection.

Mary Stevens Baird Recollections, Stevens Family Collection. V, 3.

Frank Sinatra, The Voice

Francis Albert Sinatra (1915 – 1998)

Old Blue Eyes. The Voice. Chairman of the Board. Or, in Hoboken, simply “Frankie.”

Frank Sinatra is Hoboken’s most famous son. Though the talented singer moved out of town after he achieved fame, his Hoboken upbringing shaped his early career and imparted a cocky but relatable image, which helped make him an icon. The trajectory of his family’s life in Hoboken reflected the opportunities and divisions in early twentieth century urban America.

To download a PDF of our Sinatra Walking Tour map, click here.

He was, as one writer put it, “a kid from Hoboken who got the breaks.” And in the course of his sixty-year career, that skinny kid the others called “Slats” reshaped American popular music and ideas about style.

Frank Sinatra was America’s first teen heartthrob, earning another nickname – “Swoonatra” – after girls started fainting at his concerts during the 1940s. Boys imitated his slicked-back hair and cocky demeanor. All across the country – and then the world – sighing, swooning, swaggering fans fell in love with that voice, with an intimate style of singing that brought the listener inside the song, alongside the singer.

frank_and_dolly_with_franciscans-400px

Perhaps that is why former bobby-soxers and zoot-suiters – sometimes with their kids and grandkids in tow – have journeyed for years to Sinatra’s birthplace, or packed into local taverns to celebrate the birth of this city’s most famous native son. Younger fans mention the Rat Pack and the Chairman’s cool, but many also cite his musical artistry as inspiration.

And when the news broke on May 14, 1998, that Frank Sinatra had died, the fans came again to Hoboken, to pay respects and to mourn. The bronze star the Hoboken Historical Museum had installed at the singer’s birthplace two years before was soon surrounded by candles, handmade signs, flowers, notes, photographs, and even a loaf of coal-fired oven bread, a Hoboken specialty that the singer sometimes had shipped to California.

Francis Albert Sinatra was born on December 12, 1915. Frank, who was an only child, lived at 415 Monroe Street until he was twelve years old. His mother, “Dolly,” whose maiden name was Natalie Della Garavente, was a midwife and ward leader during her years on Monroe Street. His father, Anthony Martin Sinatra, was a boxer who, though born in Sicily, went by the name of “Marty O’Brien” in order to be allowed to fight in Hoboken’s Irish-only gymnasiums. Marty later became a tavern-owner and firefighter.

The four-story, eight-family, wood-frame, cold-water apartment house of Sinatra’s youth no longer exists. After a major fire in 1967, the building was seized by the city and demolished a year later. In 1996, the Hoboken Historical Museum designed and installed a 3-foot-square bronze plaque in the sidewalk commemorating Sinatra’s birthplace.

Writer Pete Hamill noted in a tribute to Sinatra that when the singer’s career began, “there was an America that now doesn’t exist very much, a kind of blue-collar America, industrial America… and nobody had represented that before.” Sinatra could easily summon images from working-class, urban life. In his neighborhood, he told a radio audience in 1980, boys became fighters or they worked in factories. And Sinatra knew more than a little about street-tough guys, from spending time in smoky nightspots like the Cat’s Meow – one of nearly 200 social clubs in the city during the thirties. Today, about a half-dozen remain.

And yet, Frank’s growing-up years weren’t nearly as rough as some biographies have suggested. He was a rare only child, in a family whose fortunes increased through his mother’s savvy political connections. In fact, one of young Frank’s other nicknames, “Slacksy O’Brien,” stemmed from his family’s ability to buy him so many pairs of dressy pants. Although it’s certainly true that Frank was born in a cold-water flat, many immigrant families made homes in such apartments. And the Sinatras, after all, did not remain on Monroe Street for long.

As a third ward leader, Frank’s mother Dolly was a significant cog in the city’s political machine, gaining Democratic votes for higher-ups and dispensing and gaining favors. Like most Hoboken residents, she was aware of the division of power – and the city – between the Irish and Italians, but her close involvement with those in power allowed her to literally cross those lines. In 1920s Hoboken, Italians didn’t dare cross Willow Avenue, a kind of dividing line between the Italian and Irish neighborhoods; and yet, the Sinatras – sometimes calling themselves “the O’Briens” – moved across Willow, and then moved again, each time closer to the prestigious Irish/German section of town.

The Hoboken of the 1920s and 1930s was also a city bursting with younger singers, who performed on street corners, in clubs, in private homes, and in pool rooms – wherever they could get an audience.

Young Frank’s usual haunts included his father’s bar, Marty O’Brien’s at 333 Jefferson Street; the Crystal Ballroom, at 530 Jefferson St., now a condo building; and Tutty’s Bar, at Sixth and Adams Streets. The Cat’s Meow, at 604 Grand Street, not only offered him a stage, but also an occasional opportunity to sleep under the pool table when he wanted to get away from his mother. As his confidence and skill improved, he snagged a $40/week gig at Hoboken’s popular Union Club (600 Hudson St.), for dances and banquets. The Union Club was one of the first successful banquet halls owned by the upwardly mobile Italians who were making Hoboken their own, as Paul Samperi describes in one of the Museum’s Oral History chapbooks, A Fine Tavern.

 In September 1935 Sinatra joined up with a Hoboken trio, The Three Flashes, to form the Hoboken Four. They sang on the nationally broadcast radio show, Major Bowes and His Original Amateur Hour, and were voted its most popular act.

The group toured the country for several months, then Sinatra went solo, singing at dances at Hoboken clubs, until he got a gig at the Rustic Cabin in Englewood Cliffs. Bandleader Harry James heard Sinatra on a WNEW Dance Parade broadcast from the Cabin and offered him a position as a vocalist. In late 1939, he joined the Tommy Dorsey band.

When Dorsey’s lead singer quit the band, Frankie and Tommy became a popular musical duo before Sinatra left in 1943 to embark on a hugely successful solo career. Though his later career had ups and downs, he would record hit songs and star in movies for decades.

But by the early 1940s, Frank had already left Hoboken. He married his sweetheart Nancy Barbato, whom he met at the Jersey Shore, and moved into Jersey City before relocating to California. Marty and Dolly remained in Hoboken, finally settling in a grand house at 909 Hudson Street that Frank had bought for them.

In 1947 Frank Sinatra made his last public appearance in the city for nearly forty years – until he returned to accompany Ronald Reagan to St. Ann’s Feast in 1984. On October 30, 1947, Hoboken celebrated Sinatra Day, the final event in a month-long March of Progress celebration orchestrated by Mayor Fred M. DeSapio with the assistance of his dedicated ward leader, Dolly Sinatra. Twenty thousand people lined Washington Street in the pouring rain to catch a glimpse of the star, who announced, “I’ve met people in cities all over the country, but folks here in Hoboken, well, they’re just wonderful – that’s all.”

More than a few Hobokenites will return the compliment. As one man wrote to “Blue Eyes” in the sign-in book at Sinatra’s birthplace: “I was much younger than you, but grew up in this town, and all my family knew you and your legacy growing up here. Thanks for the world.” Hoboken has thanked Frank Sinatra by dedicating its main post office, a waterfront park, and a street along its picturesque waterfront, to the city’s most famous son.

Sinatra’s fans inspired the Museum to create a Sinatra Walking Tour map. You can begin the tour by picking up a copy at the Museum at 1301 Hudson Street. As you take the tour, note the changing architecture of each Sinatra family home. You may gain a sense of what life was like here during the singer’s early years – and what remains from that time. Imagine the life of a teenaged Sinatra and his family, and also the long-vanished social clubs, pool halls, and bars of the thirties, where Frank and his contemporaries sang

The Museum also dedicated an issue of its magazine, Hoboken History, to the singer and his changing relationship with the Mile Square City. You can download a PDF from our collections.

In addition to the materials featured above, the Museum also has a large collection of Sinatra memorabilia in our digital collections.

–Edited by Darian Worden

Drawn from the following sources: Sinatra Tour Map text by Holly Metz, Hoboken Historical Museum, 1998, as well as “Frank Sinatra Sang Here…,” by Melissa Abernathy, July 22, 2013, in hMAG, and Frank Sinatra Biography, Rolling Stone magazine.

Thank you for visiting our page. Come visit us at 1301 Hudson Street for changing exhibits about Hoboken’s rich and varied history.